III. The Teams‎ > ‎

Team 2

     Team 2 was dispatched to Germany a week after the surrender to assist Team 1. They helped with the organization and transport of the “Jellyfish” convoy back to the Channel. They did the initial search of the building at 9 Innrain Strasse, Innsbruck, which had been a Naval code and cipher distribution center. They spent a few days fruitlessly searching for the Luftwaffe signals regiments 350 and 351 by touring the POW cages in the Innsbruck area. A handful of German officers who were involved with signals were interviewed, but none had any information relating to Regiments 350 and 351. It was concluded that the personnel of Regiment 350 never reached the area; instead, they disbanded themselves and scattered to return home.
From the 23 May to the first week of June, the team was occupied with the interrogation of personnel from the German Army’s KONA 1 signal intelligence regiment, being held at the 16th Armored Division POW cage at Konstantinovy Lazne, in eastern Czechoslovakia. Although most of KONA 1’s documents were destroyed prior to the surrender, over 350 prisoners from the regiment were screened and a further 41 were selected for in depth interrogations. They were soon moved farther west to Oberursel in Germany and the resulting interviews produced most of the information that TICOM developed about the German Army’s cryptologic efforts.

TICOM Team 2 personnel:

    Major Charles J. Donahue, AUS  (chief TRO)

    Captain Thomas M. Carter, IC (deputy chief)

    Lieutenant Hugh A. L. Cockerell, RNVR

    Captain Leslie W. Lawrence, IC

    Captain Henry C. Barringer, AUS

    Captain James K. Lively, AUS

    1st L. Arthur J. Levenson, AUS

    P/O Ian C.M. Maxwell, RAFVR

    Cpl. J.W. Biggin, w/t operator

    L/cp l.  Tyler, w/t operator

    Cpl.. Ralph h. Brazel, driver

    T/5  Fredrick Muzer, driver

Final Report of TICOM Team 2.

National Archives and Record Administration, College Park (NARA). RG 457, Entry 9037 (Records of the NSA), Box 168.